Amazing Kids

Amazing Kids

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Here We Go!

A new year.

Wow! I'm excited about 2013 because of what happened at the beginning of our school year in September of 2012. I'm seeing kids reading like I've never seen before. In fact, I'm reading more. About the same amount in terms of "teacher books," but way more books that might appeal to my kids! That's been pretty cool. This increase in reading has given us so much to talk about and it's teaching me a tremendous amount about my kids: how they feel, what they're interested in - or not - and I'm learning that they have way more empathy than I gave them credit for.

This year I'm hopeful my students will be driven to read for enjoyment even more than they did before Christmas break. Students bringing book recommendations to me would be such a sweet reward. Adding to our classroom library will be fun, but stressful, too, because it's a little risky to pay money for books that aren't proven winners for fourth graders yet. (I'm so very thankful for abebooks.com, which provides books at very reasonable prices.)

The upcoming year also brings the hope of some new technology. Wouldn't it be wonderful for the kids in my classroom to be able to work right at their desks with an iPad (or mini-iPad) as they're reading, writing, learning or practicing math skills, or exploring the various regions of the United States? Maybe some could be working with a partner, searching for information, or possibly looking up on their own the primary industries in a state they've never visited. Looking for grants to provide as many iPads as possible is a primary goal this year.

I'm a little overwhelmed with the amazing things that have happened in our classroom so far this school year. As I think of all that's happened in these past four month, it's simply incredible what progress my kids have made. However, I'm also looking forward to even more exciting advances being made as we forge into 2013! Let's go!!


No comments:

Post a Comment